Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Finale of Harry the Rooster

When Joey read through my blogs, he paused at the end of the one involving Harry, the chicken, "Why didn't you finish the story?" he asked. 

"What do you mean?" I responded.

"Remember, the chicken was blee-"
I cut him off as the memory washed over me. "OH MY GOSH, I FORGOT TO TELL THEM THE FINAL PART OF THE STORY!" I put that part in all caps because I actually yelled that. 

Quick Refresher:


Driving down the highway to pick up a katana, a fancy Japanese sword, I purchased for Joey, Lila and I saw a chicken just hanging out. On our way back from the katana purchase, I decided to stop and take pictures of the chicken I named Harriet. Unfortunately, while I took pictures, the car window proved too far open as Lila jumped out of the car and chased Harriet down the side of the road. Lila caught up to Harriett. The two rolled as feathers flew through the air. Two women in a van stopped to help attempt to catch Lila. Harriett slipped under the woman's van. I grabbed Lila and placed her back in the car, rolled up the window and -



Without further delay, the final part of Harriett/Harry, the Chicken/Rooster - 


I crouched down, looking under the van of a strange woman to see Harriett, frightened for her life. 



I knew I needed to get Harriett out from the bottom of the van. Formulating a plan, I pulled a sweatshirt out from my trunk. I gently tossed the sweatshirt at Harriett to see if she attacked it. If she attacked it, I would pull the sweatshirt back and wait for animal control to attempt a Harriett rescue. If she was calm, I would put my arms in the sleeves of the sweatshirt and gently slide her out from under the car. 

My plan proved successful. Harriet didn't flinch at the sight of the sweatshirt. Therefore the plan continued. I nervously placed my arms in the sleeves and reached out to Harriett, hoping she decided pecking the living daylights out of my arms seemed pointless.   


Gently sliding Harriett out from under the van, I did my best not to let my arms shake with trepidation.  As I pulled Harriett out, I realized she was a he as this was definitely a rooster and therefore became Harry. 


Until that day, I had never held a rooster. However, I am told it doesn't usually go nearly as smoothly as this went since roosters have spurs on their feet. I attribute this calmness to Harry being in a state of shock. First a crazy dog goes after him, he chicken-runs for his life, the best thing to witness, the crazy dog, that would be Lila, rolls him, feathers fly through the air, clucks of terror sound, and he makes his way to a safe spot, underneath a van.


During this ordeal, one woman phoned Animal Control. 


As I held Harry, I noticed a trail of blood making its way down my arm. I gently searched Harry trying to find the source of the blood. I was unable to locate the wound. 


As I continued to search, an Animal Control truck arrived. It pulled off the side of the highway. I carried Harry to the truck. However, as I walked, the sight of a ditch went unnoticed as Harry blocked it from my view. I stumbled in the ditch, my right ankle rolled, I lost my balance, pulling Harry close to me. BUT I DIDN'T FALL DOWN! Well done self.


I regained my composure, my ankle throbbing. I tried to step towards the truck, but applying pressure on my right foot sent searing pain through my body. Rather than come to my aide, the animal control man just watched me. Thanks so much for that Mr. Animal Control Man. 


With rooster in arm, I HOPPED over to the truck.  That's right, picture me, carrying a rooster, hopping to the truck. You can stop laughing.  


As I finally reached the Animal Control Man, he was shocked that I held a rooster under my arm without any repercussion from the rooster. 


The Animal Control Man opened a cage in the back of the truck. I placed Harry in the cage. 


Animal Control Man: Are you alright? 

Me: I should be. What is going to happen to Harry?
ACM: Whose Harry?
Me: I pointed to the rooster. 
ACM: You named him? 
Me: Of course. He's bleeding and I can't find the wound.
ACM: Oh - 
Me: What if he needs surgery?
ACM: I don't think our vet has the proper equipment to operate on the rooster.
Me: What if I paid? I can pay for the tiny rooster tools. 
ACM: No, I mean they don't know HOW to operate on a rooster.
Me: I'm sure we can find someone who does. We can google it. 
ACM: Right, we'll look him over and call you. 
Me: -turning to Harry- Goodbye. I love you. 

I know the Animal Control Man was convinced I was a whack-a-doo from the start, but I'm sure proclaiming my love to the rooster gave him even more concern. 


I hopped back to the car, remember - busted ankle, drove back to my apartment and dropped Lila at home. She had enough excitement for one day. I think she would LOVE to have a pet rooster. I then went to the doctor who informed me I had a hairline fracture in my ankle and nicked part of a ligament. I ended up in an air cast for the remainder of the summer. When people asked how I broke my ankle, I simply responded, "an incident with a rooster." The whole story was too much to tell. 


So what happened to Harry?  It turned out the blood I saw was from a small cut Harry had on his foot which Animal Control was able to bandage. The best part was one of the Animal Control workers had a friend who owned a farm, this was common in Southwest Virginia, and they brought Harry to live on it. HOORAY HARRY!



Point of the Story: Finish what you start. 

P.S. Joey loved the sword. He loved the story even better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment