Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Head Trauma - Part Deux (that means two)

At the age of 7 years old, my energy levels were off the charts. I climbed things, many things, and after I climbed them, I would jump down. Climbing and jumping were as essential to me as walking. Side note: They still are – although, less jumping unless on a trampoline or jumping from a reasonable height.



My parents’ master bathroom includes a Jacuzzi tub. To seven year old me, this tub was huge, as I’ve gotten older, the tub is still really big, but I am not able to swim around in it like a goldfish as I did when I was younger.  In order to get into the tub, you have to climb three tiled stairs to get into the tub.  Bath time at our house was awesome. All three sisters could fit in the tub, the jets would make a ridiculous amount of bubbles, and we had more bath toys in the Jacuzzi than reasonable. I loved taking baths. It was like a mini pool. The water filled up to my neck and I would swim around the tub like a goldfish in a bowl. Also, I am currently at my family home and my sister has a peplum shirt. I have spent the past year pronouncing that word as “pew –plum,” and she has just informed me that it is “pay–plum,” now I know.  I am aware that is completely off topic, but it just came up and I wanted to share with you my new knowledge. Back to the story.



At the end of my bath, I would climb out of the tub, down the three tiled stairs, grab a towel and dry off which in reality was grab a towel, run to my bedroom using my towel as a cape as if I was a superhero. Due to this towel cape running, my dad also bought me a bathrobe made out of the same fabric as a towel. This eliminated the super hero towel running.
At the bottom of the three stairs laid a bath mat. It has been many different mats over time. However, during this particular month, my family had purchased a new mat; I am guessing my dad bought the mat. It was foam and in the shape of a giant foot. I LOVED it. I don’t even know why. It was just fantastic.



On one particular occasion, I finished my bath and made my way out of the tub. I climbed out of the tub, standing on the top stair. I looked down to see the giant foot mat just lying there, tempting me. “If I jumped, I could totally land on that mat,” I thought to myself. 



The problem with me is that like Barney Stinson, if I issue a challenge to myself, I instantly accept it. I have been working on not instantly accepting all challenges as sometimes they prove too dangerous or are silly challenges. One time I challenged myself to hold my left arm in the air for an hour without taking it down. No one issued this challenge. No one had any idea why I held my arm in the air for 60 minutes, but I did it. I walked around my house with my left arm in the air. Interestingly enough, no one in my family questioned my bizarre actions. I think by that point in my life they were used to me doing weird actions and decided it was best to not ask.  



I accepted my own challenge and readied myself, positioning to jump and lunge forward. If I pushed off hard enough, I would it make on the mat. I felt nervous, but didn’t want to chicken out on this pointless challenge. I counted to three and jumped.



To my pleasant surprise, my feet made contact with the mat. Go me. However,  I was unable to celebrate my victory as the moment my feet applied pressure on the mat, the mat slipped. My tiny seven year old body flew through the air. Gravity pulled me back and I crashed head first onto the tiled floor. Stupid gravity. 



The overwhelming realization of pain in the back of my head resulted in the one highest pitched, most painful screams of my life. I let out another long, high-trilled shriek, hoping one of my parents would hear it and come save me. Yet, no one came.  At the end of the shriek, I stopped crying and instead laid there, thinking, “No one is coming. I am just going to lay here and no one will ever find me.” It felt like forever until my dad burst through the door. I later learned only 10 seconds past from the first cry to my dad barging through the door, but when you’re in pain, every second feel likes an hour. 



As my dad was not only an ER nurse, but a paramedic as well, he was used to traumatic scenes. He looked me over, checking for head and neck injuries, along with any signs of paralysis. Luckily, there weren’t any signs. However, the tile behind my head turned red with blood. My mom rushed in to see me on the ground. My dad looked up at her and said I would need to get a CAT scan since I hit my head on such a hard surface. I didn’t know what a CAT scan was, I imagined it was something like an X-ray. I thought that was cool. 7 Year Old Thoughts: Will I have to hold a cat? How can a cat help me with my injuries? I like cats. Will this cat be in charge of the scan? No, that’s silly. Cats don’t work machines, they don't have thumbs. Do cats have thumbs? I have two thumbs. I like cats. I like dogs. I want a pet. 



My dad grabbed a giant towel, wrapped me up and swept me off the ground. My mom and dad placed me on their bed as they struggled to dress me without hurting my head. This time the pain was more intense than the last head injury. My dad grabbed the phone and called the hospital. He called one of his doctor friends, explaining the situation. The doctor agreed to have a room waiting for me, along with preparing a CAT scan to check for brain injuries.



My parents placed me in the car. My dad put a towel against the back of my head. This time, I was old enough to reason that the towel was probably there to stop the blood, meaning I had once again cracked my head open. I wasn’t too worried about that. I was instead focused on what a CAT scan involved. 7 Year Old Thoughts: Would I have to hold a cat? How could a cat help me with my injuries? Would this cat be in charge of the scan? No, that’s silly. Cats don’t work machines.



In the car, my dad told me I cracked my head open in the same EXACT place the first time. Fantastic!



As I once again arrived at the hospital, I was rushed past the ER waiting lounge, straight back to a room. Rather than stitch up my head, I first received a CAT or CT scan. Unfortunately, this scan contained exactly ZERO CATS. CT stands for Computerized Axial Tomography, or in plain terms, not a cute animal that says “MEOW!”



The scan showed that my brain was still functioning properly. However, years down the road, doctors would later contemplate the possibility that cracking my head open in the same place 3 times (the third time would come years later) has caused my quirks.



After the CT scan, I was sent to have my head stitched up. They asked why I jumped off the stairs, explaining the entire scenario of trying to land on the giant foot mat. I gave a simple response, “I thought I could fly.” Now, I was very aware that I couldn’t fly and if I wanted to try to fly, I would choose somewhere with a soft landing – duh. Although, I really do wish I could fly. That would be AMAZING!



The nurses were amused by this answer, laughing about the adorableness of a 7 year old trying to fly. I was asked if I wanted blue stitches or black stitches. Not wanting to break with tradition, I chose blue stitches.




Final Note: This incident started the love of the color, blue. I’ve always loved green, but blue holds a special place in my heart – and my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment